Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Welcome to Singapore



Hi everyone, the Lone Star Loom Room's long awaited (by me) blog is up and running. Originally the blog was intended to be a weaving blog. However as you may guess by the title, FAR EAST LOOM ROOM the purpose of the blog has changed a little. We arrived in Singapore January 1st. We are currently waiting for our container with our household goods to arrive (scheduled for February 8th). Moving to Singapore has been the main focus of our lives for the past few months and I think now the blog idea has evolved in to a way to keep family, friends and customers informed of our time here in Singapore. I do intend to post weaving/textile related information as soon as I have something to post. Meanwhile watch for updates on life in Singapore.

Last night Peter, Jack (dog) and I went to the Botanical Gardens. Established in 1859 it is a lovely oasis in the middle of a bustling city. We only had about an hour and half before dark so we did not see the whole garden. Peter came prepared with camera in hand so we were slow going. Interestingly there are many familiar plants in Singapore. The climate in Houston is similar many months of the year. However, I have not seen any roses or other plants that do need some degree of cold for their cycle. This was Jack's first big outing and he was a celebrity. We have to be careful walking Jack, 15% of the population is muslim and they do not touch dogs. I try to keep him close to my side so as not to offend anyone. However, at the Botanical Gardens everyone wanted to pet him and take his picture! I truly think he had more pictures taken than in all 3 years of his life in that hour and half. I heard many kids say "Look a GIANT poodle!". I had to stop and pose him numerous times. Just fyi - the time difference is 14 hours AHEAD of CST time in the states.

Pictures are from the Singapore Botanical Garden; Jack and Tracy in front of a tree with neat roots and lovely orchids. Tracy


No comments:

Post a Comment